Sharing your time without expectations in return toward greater good in the world, volunteering is a choice as to when, where, how, and for how long you want to do something.
- Provide skill development
- Improve socialization opportunities
- Allow personal growth
- Expose us to professional opportunities
- Help lower mortality rates
- Increase functional ability
- Lower rate of depression in elders
How I add this to my life: I find opportunities all over! I facilitate a writing group at the HIV center each month, I have worked with the IRS to file taxes for low-income folks, I lead hikes, I have worked at the battered women’s shelter, I have spent time in my daughter’s school. My problem is to keep my volunteering under control so there is time for me!